Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe site, if you’re looking for Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe, look no further! We provide you only the best Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Finding Healthy Fast Food.
Just about any article you read about improving your health or slimming down is going to tell you to ignore the drive through and cook all of your meals instead. This is really excellent advice. From time to time, though, the last thing you want is to have to cook meals from scratch. Sometimes you just want to hit the drive through along the way home and call it a day. There is simply no reason that you simply shouldn’t be able to do this once in a while and be free of the guilt usually associated with “diet slips”. You are capable of doing this because most of the popular joints are now marketing “healthy” menu selections to keep their businesses up. Here’s how you’ll be able to eat healthfully when you’re at a fast food place.
Visit a drive through at a place that has made it a practice to provide healthier options to people. Arby’s for instance, is void of burgers. You can consume roast beef sandwiches, wraps and salads instead. Wendy’s, while no stranger to the hamburger, likewise includes plenty of other meal choices: large salads, large baked potatoes and other tasty items fill its menu. Not many fast food places are as unhealthy as McDonalds with its deep fried everything.
Traditional logic tells us that one positive way to get healthy and lose fat is to skip the drive through and to remove fast food restaurants from your thoughts. Most of the time this is a good idea but if you make great choices, there is no reason you can’t visit your drive through now and then. At times what you need most is just to have someone else do the cooking. If you decide on healthy products, the guilt usually associated with hitting the drive through shouldn’t be so bad.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to hearty vegan split-pea and lentil soup recipe. To make hearty vegan split-pea and lentil soup you only need 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you do that.
The ingredients needed to prepare Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup:
- You need 1 cup dried split peas
- You need 1⁄2 cup green lentils
- Prepare 1⁄2 cup yellow lentils
- Use 2⁄3 cup barley
- Provide 3 tbsp olive oil
- Get 2 medium onions
- Provide 4 clove garlic
- You need 5 medium carrots
- Take 1 salt and pepper to taste
Instructions to make Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup:
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes.
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1⁄4 inch "pennies".
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant.
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes.
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins - 1 hour.
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours.
If you find this Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.